I wouldn’t call myself a beauty junkie yet I know some women who are – they have loads of products in their bathrooms, always seem to know exactly which product to use and when and always have their face “on” so to speak. As of late, I have less time to apply my usual make-up. Not to sound like a broken “mom record” but it’s become the reality of my situation so I have my go-to make-up routine which is a shorter all-star list of products that I try not to go without and then there’s the full monty make-up routine which is my full line up of products that I love. There are days when I do have the luxury of time (when A is home for the weekend or I have completed the perfectly timed nap) and happily apply the full monty.
My approach to skincare these days with the cold, dry weather we are currently experiencing is hydration, hydration, hydration. I’m injecting (and drinking!) as much water into my skin as possible. For my birthday, I had a lovely facial at my favourite spa, Miraj Hammam Spa by Caudalie. Not only do I love the serene moroccan inspired space but I love their products. A product the aesthetician used was this serum and I loved how it added another layer of moisture even before my regular moisturizer. I’ve also been adding a sheet mask to my weekly regime. I love how this one leaves my skin feeling almost jelly-like (but in a good way!).
SKINCARE: Left to Right 1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6
MAKEUP :: Left to Right 1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 // 8 // 9 // 10
This is the full-monty of my make-up range. It’s funny how I normally don’t think I use that many products but when it’s laid out like so, it appears like a lot. I mainly focus on good, even skin (hence the concentration on hydration in my skincare) and the eyes. The eyes are where it’s at these days for and the main focus is on hiding my tired bags and making them bright. I haven’t strayed from my YSL Touche Eclat for years yet I never would have thought to use this Tarte Fake Awake Eye-Liner that I put in the inner corners of my eyes to make them appear more awake (smart name of the product, right?). Another gem from this line up is this Laura Mercier Eye-Shadow primer. I normally wear a barely there shadow and found that generally by the end of the day it went from barely there to definitely not there so I figured it was time to add a layer that would make it last all day. This product does this while also brightening so it’s a win-win!
September, my favourite month of the year, is quickly slipping away! I can’t believe we’re late into the last week. It’s amazing how the temperature has changed with the beginning starting out in the high 30’s and now closing out in the teens but that is also what I like about it. Since I’m still living out of a suitcase while our closet is being built I haven’t properly switched over to my fall wardrobe but I’m actually excited about grabbing those layers and knits. Below is a round of what I’m feeling for fall – clearly a lot of neutrals and a little darkness but what better season for Oxblood than fall, am I right?
1 – Marble Cutting Board
– I’m currently missing my white countertops and am working with some sort of brown nature so this slice of marble makes it all right in the world.
2 – Interesting Print
– I’m currently searching for some unique black and white prints and this one is sad, funny and interesting all at once glance.
3 – Isabel Marant Etoile Hat
– I want this hat, and I want it bad. It’s the cool girl hat for fall and when ultimate french cool girl, Garance Dore makes that kind of statement – you listen.
4 – Fjallraven Keb Loft Jacket
– Before we get into the full-on winter jackets, this layer will help transition into the cooler months with it’s convenient two-way zipper.
5 – Chic Black Floor Lamp
– It’s like the one I’ve been searching for our living room yet far our prince range. Don’t worry – I have a fun DIY coming up to solve that.
7 – Hug Me Lipstick
– One of the bridesmaids from this past weekend shared this wicked shade with us and I love it! It’s a great neutral.
9 – Oxfords
– Bare ankle season is still around and I plan on pushing it as far as it will god and I love these simplistic oxfords as well as their colour.
11 – Leather Pouf
– I’m really into poufs these days in living spaces and LOVE the look of this one.
12 – Mud Cloth Pillow
– I’ll never get enough of these guys and I’m certainly bringing them into our living space ONCE we finally get that sofa we’re waiting on.
Coming from someone that doesn’t always wear all that much eye make-up, I love a perfectly defined eye. A beautifully shaped, sharp cat-eye? Meow. The question is – what is the best liquid liner? There’s no doubt that liquid trumps pencil and I’ve tried the brush and paint pot thing but have you tried packing that brush? I turned to google in search of the best, dark pigment yet smudge proof but there’s no better way to determine than to try them yourself. And so, I bring you my review of three different liquid eye liners in three different price ranges.
1. L’Oreal Lineur Intense Brush Tip – They say you never forget your first and this was the liner that my mom used and thus, the first eye liner I used. The brush is nice and long but still allows for maximum control. I also find that this liner really stays for hours on end which is perfect for plans in the P.M. It’s also a drugstore find so if you are ever in a bind you can sure this won’t be a waste of money.
2. MAC Liquid Eye Liner – MAC is brand you can always trust when it comes to make up and this liner is an example of why. the applicator provides a nice handle for your hand (which is important for that slick line). A little more pricey than L’Oreal however this little pot is deceiving as it lasts a long time.
3. Lancome Artliner – It’s all about the tip on this one. Uniquely made with a foam tip versus a brush really allows little room for error and an extended handle provides extra control. I hate to say it – but this one was my favourite but unfortunately the most expensive.
What is your favourite liquid liner?
Hurrah – it’s summer!
Around this time of year, I like to go back to basics when it comes to my makeup routine.
Sticking to the essentials such as SPF and a great black mascara, below I share some of my faves for summer.
From left to right:
YSL Touche Eclat: This little gem is perfect for lightening up! Using around your eyes, the light seems to bounce right off your skin.
MAC Zoomlash Mascara in Extreme Black: You would think that sticking to a brown would be more natural and or appropriate but theres nothing more that I love than some slick, black lashes on tanned skin.
Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 in Coral: Who doesn’t love lip treatment that adds a splash of colour while protecting from sun damage? This stick will be in my purse all summer long.
Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20: It provides just enough coverage while also moisturizing your skin. Good makeup starts with good skin.
Nars Bronzer in Laguna: I normally use a matte bronzer since I feel that sometimes the shimmer can make my face look oily. Not this bronzer. It serves the right about of shimmer to give you that coveted summer glow.