You know those friends that are just naturally great in the kitchen? It may not even be their kitchen but they can work it better than you can? Yah, well that friend in my life is Nicole. She is so impressive and I was beyond excited when she suggested we get baking together!
She proposed something summery but also healthy and having just picked up some fresh rhubarb from the market – Strawberry and Rhubarb Muffins it was! Adapting from this recipe, they turned out moist but full of grain goodness! They are perfect for that grab and go item in busy mornings and also pair well with a cup of coffee.
Strawberry Rhubarb Hazelnut Muffins
by: Little Red Book + Nicole
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup rhubarb (2 large stalks)
- 2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- ⅔ cup plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ⅔ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a standard size muffin pan.
- Mash one banana. Wash and dice 1 cup rhubarb and 1 cup strawberries.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups wheat bran, 1 cup oat bran, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. In a smaller bowl, combine 2 large eggs, ⅔ cup milk, ⅔ cup plain yogurt, ⅓ cup melted butter, ⅔ cup honey, and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients (including banana) into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until just combined. Add the strawberries, rhubarb and stir to combine.
- Fill the muffin cups with batter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool the muffins in the pan for a few minutes, then remove them and serve warm or let them cool on a wire rack.