This past weekend at a lovely friend’s cottage, I had a little affair with proper winter. Whisking, snowy winds and all! We haven’t had much snow and I suppose I missed it? It also helped that we were able to curl up and be cozy inside. One of my favourite things about the colder, winter weather is cooking up something warm! Soup is an easy one however I had yet to make Chicken Noodle Soup from scratch. I would usually purchase it pre-made however once I realized how easy it seemed to make – I wanted to give it a go!
First things first – chopping! Make sure you have a great sharp knife on hand that will help immensely with this step. As you can see, I had the chance to try this new knife from Sabatier which was an insane improvement from my usual knives. It’s amazing how much easier it is to chop when you’re properly equipped.
Since this recipe yields for 12, having a large stock pot is great which leaves you lots of room.
Recipe: Chicken Soup, adapted from here.
MAKES: 12 SERVINGS
- 1 whole chicken, 3-4 pounds
- 350 grams of Egg Noodles
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 large stalks of celery (including leaves), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the chicken in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is falling off the bone, about an hour. Remove the chicken, and let cool to touch. Remove the meat from the bones.
- Meanwhile, add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, sage, thyme, rosemary, and marjoram to the broth. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the veggies are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add the noodles, just a few at a time, to the simmering broth. Once all noodles are added, also add in the chicken. Boil noodles for 3-5 minutes until they are tender and no longer doughy. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Shop the Post: Pot/ Sabatier Cutting Board/ Sabatier Knife/ Cutlery/ Dish Towel